Friday, November 25, 2011

The 7 month itch

If curiosity kills the cat, then what does it do to trumpeters? Rhetorical question...don't answer it! Having played almost every day for the past two months and not ever going higher than the occasional C (3rd space), I wonder just how my chops would feel if I did?

Okay, rewind for a minute and let's look at what I've been doing. I have stayed tight with my Schuebruk No.1 only. I like this because it helps me find the setting consistently. I usually repeat this exercise 4-5 times. Can't wait to go on to No. 2. Then I move into Schlossberg No. 5 and only the first 15 measures. I continue with Schlossberg No. 11 and just the first 7 measures. From here I go to the Stamp No.3 starting on G and working my way down to C. I move on to the Chicowicz flow study up to C (3rd space) and end with Schlossberg No. 12 and only the first 7 measures. All this while trying to not exceed mf and not use the tongue. As I might have stated in an earlier post, I am looking to establish a solid, consistent setting and get into the good habit of breathing and control of the breath. For this reason, I have chosen not to "short-cut" my rehab by starting with tongue. That will come back into play soon. Besides, every time I try to tongue, I hack the note, blow air out of my nose, and have a sh#!@y tone. This routine gives me good information on where my chops are and what they are doing...but it is getting boring!

I know now that I can make a sound. I know now that I must continue on and begin the process of introducing the tongue and start playing exercises that will strengthen my chops and increase my flexibility. Today I stretched it a bit and worked up to E (4th space). Overall the feeling was good and the sound was as well. It felt good enough to actually play even higher or try a new exercise or two...but I will not let my curiosity divert my progress and kill this cat.


No comments:

Post a Comment