Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Preface

Here I go again. After tearing the muscle in my lip and taking years to recover, I've done it again. Although this time was much less debilitating. To make a long story short, I've played trumpet for 32 years and professionally for the past 22. I've chosen jazz and commercial music (or it chose me-different posting) as my profession. This genre requires immense knowledge and versatility. While jazz is my true love and passion, I am often hired to play everything but jazz. Many times I am asked to play the lead chair in a large ensemble, or the single trumpet chair in a pop/R&B group. Latin music has really taken off and provided a lot of work to trumpeters like me. Sometimes I am hired as a section/supporting player and if I'm lucky I'm hired to play jazz. All of this playing, combined with practice (I love to practice) and very little rest has worn down the muscle tissue causing a rupture. This can only be fixed by surgery...and I've done it twice. OUCH! The second time, luckily, was not as drastic as the first. I believe this is because the second time was more or less an extension of the first injury.

The first injury occurred after an amazing three year schedule of playing that had me working well over 1000 gigs in that time. Many gigs were doubles and most were requiring me to play loud and high. As fun as that is, that kind of playing takes it's toll on the very delicate muscles of the lip. Particularly that of the OBICULARIS ORIS or the upper lip muscle. While on tour with a very popular latin/r&b artist I started to notice that I was missing notes and struggling to play passages that I had played rather easily throughout the tour. I also noticed my upper lip (left of center) was swelling. As the tour continued, my chops worsened and eventually I could not even play a 2nd line G (probably the first note beginner trumpeters learn). After a year of struggling with no answers or results I figured it out and began the journey or repair and rehab.

This Journey saw me relearn the trumpet from a physical sense as the surgery left me with a whole new architectural set up. My mind was much further along than my body. Once I found a set up I began to train my lip muscles to again, form an embouchure. While I eventually found my way, I never felt comfortable playing. At least, not like I had before the injury. I resumed my career and took many of the same jobs I had once had....only in much smaller doses. After a few years of this new set up, I began to look very closely at what was really happening with my lip. My playing had reached a plateau and began to decline. Not as rapidly as before, but very noticeable to me. My flexibility and articulation went missing. Oddly enough, my range was great (high G and A above high C). I never felt comfortable playing and this began the process anew.

It seemed that while my playing wasn't completely ruined, a small bit of scar tissue and bound two areas of my upper lip directly in the center. I could see it. I could feel it. But worst of all, I just couldn't make the adjustment in my embouchure set up. I made the decision to go through the surgery one more time. Now having done this, I look at my lip today (4 mos. after surgery) and can honestly say that it looks and feels great! The difference between this surgery and the first is that now I feel my lip is fixed. It is on the mend and I begin the second half of the repair and rehab plan.

With the help of my friend and musical mentor, Dr. John Wacker, I will document all the details of my rehab. Dr. Wacker is a nationally renown trumpet artist and professor whose insight and experience will make this an opportunity for me to not only come back but to be better than ever. We will post all of the lesson plans and the discussions. Pictures, videos, and stories will also be added to illustrate to myself, Dr. Wacker, and all those interested just how this recovery can be overcome. This blog will act as an online lesson and, we hope, as a guide for those who have found themselves in the same predicament as I.

I would like to, in advance, thank Dr. John Wacker, Dr. Simon McGrail, Bob Montgomery, Bobby Shew, Laurie Frink, Brad Goode, BLu7, and all those who will participate in this blog or in person.

Now let's do this!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment